David and Claire are still mainly breastfed, except for the 3 oz of formula we add to their before-bed bottles. Those bottles range from 5-7 ounces and the amount seems to change weekly. They nurse about 5-6 times a day plus the one bottle.
We are currently in the "put everything in our mouth" stage. Let's see how long this lasts with these two - with L, it lasted for a good 18 months!!
Our biggest accomplishment this month is that both babies are successfully napping in their cribs! It took about 3 days to "train" them. I use the term lightly as I don't really let them cry-it-out to train. I go in at short intervals (1 minute, then 3 minutes later, then 5 minutes later) to pop pacis in and rub backs (no picking up or rocking). They almost always fall asleep by the time we hit 5 minutes, but the first few days naps were lasting 30 minutes or less - so I consider that unsuccessful. Naps are at 8:30am, 12:30pm, and sometimes a short one around 4pm. Now that we are on more of a scheduled day, I've noticed that Claire wants to take a longer nap at 8:30am, while David wants his nap at 12:30pm to last longer. This usually results in Claire wanting that third nap in the early evening. Hoping we can mesh their schedules together soon. I've always put them down for naps together regardless of when they woke up last, so hopefully that will help us evolve.
Nighttime sleep is typically from 6:30pm-7am with 2 wake ups to eat. We seem to finally have a nice rhythm going with our bedtime routine. It took Eric and I a while to figure out what worked, and what didn't. So here is what we came up with, currently. I usually start bottles around 5:45/6pm. Both babies sit in their bouncy chairs while I feed them simultaneously (sometimes Lucas will help, but he is usually too busy on the iPad or watching Thomas or Bubble Guppies!). Eric usually gets home while I'm feeding the bottles and will take one of the babies to help finish up. Then once they are done, either both Eric and I or just one of us will do diapers, jammies, books, bed. It usually depends on how much dinner needs tending too. If dinner is just about done, then we will both do bedtime. Sometimes, dinner will need a little TLC, so that's when one of us will do babies and one will finish up dinner. Then, Lucas, Eric and I eat dinner. Lucas' bedtime is after dinner.
Claire: This month, in addition to Claire-Bear, she has earned the nickname, "Spikey-haired Claire" because her hair is growing in, but in a spike on top of her head! It's so cute! But it definitely makes me wonder how early David's hair started to grow in the womb since his is SO LONG!
She still remains a good sleeper. Claire would probably pull another hour or two on David's middle of the night wake ups, but she sure doesn't mind eating when he decides it's time! Little Miss is primarily a back sleeper, but she will occasionally nap on her belly. As long as she wakes up on her back, Claire is extremely happy when she wakes up in the morning. When I go in to get her, she immediately flashes her open-mouth smile, happily squeals and kicks her arms and legs! Sometimes before I go to her, she will lay in her crib and make fun noises. Most times when she wakes up from naps, she's not as happy as in the morning.
Claire is a snuggler and will bury her head in the crook of your neck if she's tired. But, if she has her head on your shoulder, she is usually looking out into the world, probably so she doesn't miss anything that's going on.
Couple things that I'm not sure how I missed mentioning over the last few months. First, Claire has beautiful hands and long, slender fingers. Many people who meet her notice this feature immediately. Future pianist, maybe? Mimi and Grandpa Bob hope so, so that we will take their/my baby grand off their hands!
Also, ever since she was two months old, she has had a spot on the back of her head that she rubbed bald from looking around her world so much while lying down! Our nosy little baby girl! Hair is starting to grow back now that she sits up more and isn't laying down as much.
She is working on her sit. She can prop sit for a few seconds before falling forward so far that her belly touches her outstretched legs.
She is a champion roller both back to belly and belly to back. I have found her halfway across the room from where I originally placed her several times.
Baby girl has found her voice and boy she is a loud and shrill one! She has a very high-pitched shriek that is border-line glass shattering! Can't wait to hear what this sounds like when she's a teenager!
Claire had her first bowl of oatmeal just before turning 5 months old (like we did with Lucas). We waited a few weeks after David, both because we didn't think Claire was ready, and because we didn't really think she needed solids yet. It was probably the perfect wait time because she immediately took to it. She paid such close attention to David eating that last week before we offered her oatmeal - her eyes moved back and forth with his spoon - that I think she knew exactly what to do. Now she takes about 2 tablespoons once a day in the evening.
Something fun we discovered this month is that Claire's legs are longer than David's even though David is an inch taller than Claire. We don't adjust the seat height of the exersaucer or bouncer when we move the babies between them. So, it is pretty apparent that Claire has longer legs when she is flat-footed while David is on his tip-toes! Pretty cool!
These two are just a bundle of fun and cuteness! We feel so humbled and greatful for their precious lives and health!






No comments:
Post a Comment