Tuesday, October 16, 2012

They're heeere!

On the afternoon of Friday, October 5th, at 38 weeks and 1 day gestation, David Robert and Claire Elise made their debut into the world!! David weighed 6lbs14oz and was 20.5" long. And Claire weighed 6lbs 1oz and was 19.75" long.

At almost 13lbs of baby, we were SO ready to meet these two when Eric and I headed to the hospital after breakfast on Friday morning for our scheduled induction. The ride to the hospital this time around was SO different than with Lucas' birth - it was so calm - no middle of the night driving, water breakage or contractions to contend with. We just walked into the hospital like it was any other day.

Once we got settled in our labor room, my doctor came in to check me - 5cm! Yay! Halfway there before we even got started! So, at 9:30am, she broke David's water bag, started the Pitocin, and ordered my epidural. At 3:00pm, I was checked again and found to be 9cm! Doc said it should be around an hour til I hit 10, but about 30 minutes later I started to feel the urge to push! Uh oh! My doctor was in the OR performing a C-section and we hadn't been moved to our OR yet! So the nurses frantically started to get everything together for our move!

I should backup for a second and explain that although we were going for a vaginal delivery, it is protocol at many hospitals to deliver twins in an Operating Room (OR). This is mainly as a precaution in case an emergency C- section has to be performed primarily on Baby B. Plus, there are so many people present for a twin delivery, that an OR provides more space for everyone to spread out.

We got to the OR at 4:05pm, and the small circus was already setting up - anesthesiologists, pediatricians and pediatric nurses (one of each per baby), a backup OB in case mine didn't make it out of surgery in time, several nurses, and some student nurses that we allowed to witness their first twin vaginal delivery! There must have been 20 people in there!

I was determined to wait for our doctor - she was the one who I trusted to deliver our breech Claire (Baby B) vaginally! David (Baby A) was ready to go and was descending rapidly. But, we waited. And I breathed and breathed through contractions and the strong urge to push for 30 minutes!! Looking back - that just sounds crazy!

Our doctor came in at 4:35, and pushing started almost immediately! David Robert was born 6 minutes later with a full head of dark hair and a strong cry! He was whisked away to the other side of the room to get cleaned up. I didn't get to see my baby boy, but, through tears, Eric assured me he was beautiful and perfect! What I had to focus on now was Claire! The doctor broke her water bag and according to Eric, a foot popped out immediately. The doc reached up (yes, seriously!), grabbed her other foot and helped guide her out. Before I knew it, her body and shoulders were out. I honestly cannot remember if I had to push her head out or if the doctors just pulled her out, but 2 minutes after her brother, beautiful baby girl, Claire Elise, entered our world!

David needed an IV of fluids because he was a little pale. And Claire swallowed some blood and didn't breathe for about 90 seconds (scary!). But, we were assured by the pediatrician that both of those complications were minor and both babies were very healthy. Neither baby needed extra monitoring in the NICU, and after everyone (including momma) was cleaned up, both babies were wheeled back to our labor room with us!

These two little ones are so amazing! Giving momma an uncomplicated pregnancy that lasted over 38 weeks, healthy weights, no NICU time, and a twin vaginal delivery that could not have gone better in my wildest dreams! Angels were looking down on us, for sure - we are so very blessed and will be forever grateful for their safe and healthy arrival!

Welcome to the world, David and Claire! We love you so much!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments: